Friday, June 20, 2008

IN ORDER

I think its about the right time now for some writing, obviously you get the idea that this is about art--but 'art' within a specific way of understanding--a way which is influenced by Pacific or Oceanic epistemologies and system of thoughts whether 'traditional' or 'contemporary'. Most of what will be written here, at least for now, are taken from yet another specific way of understanding and expereinces--you might be aware by now that this is a very complex situation from the outset.

The images here and those in future posts are my own work--but I wouldnt call them 'work' just yet as this is more like a hobby for the time being, may be in the near future they will become 'work' in the artistic sense of the term. I am a Tongan-migrant living in New Zealand-Auckland, my parents moved us--me and my three older brothers--here from Tonga in September 1991 and we have been living here ever-since.

I am currently writing a thesis for a Masters Degree in the University of Auckland--based on the recent work of Tongan-born, New Zealand-based artist Filipe Tohi but non of that stuff will ever be seen here as it belongs somewhere else. However, what I can allow myself to do here is talk about the thesis in terms of what it is about and what I hope to raise or evoke in the reader's mind.

The thesis is an attempt to (re)conceptualise the idea of 'art' as it exists within this artist's recents works--as soon as it is marked and bounded, I will write more here as it is an on-going process.

2bcont..

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...